I am thrilled to share with you that my dear friend, Kari, and I have decided to launch a virtual Facebook book club called Mothers in Minivans Reading Books!!
If you’ve never watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, first, go watch it; second, our title is a spoof of that as we are two minivan-driving mommas that are squeezing in time to read more this year – and it may just happen while we are in our minivans!
Kari and Lauren are friends that connected in a MOPS groups many moons ago and are both working moms with a passion for reading.
Couple of things:
- You don’t have to be a mother to join but no boys are allowed (sorry fellas!)
- You don’t have to have a minivan and we won’t judge your lack of style for not having one
- We will read a variety of books – goal is to read one a month (or two).
We’ll decide on a title, have a spot to discuss throughout reading and host a live at the end of the book to debrief on it together! We have few rules so everyone can get the most out of our book talks:
- NO SPOILERS! If you want to discuss spoilers, leave a comment asking to PM with someone else who has finished the book, etc.
- The Facebook group is for the discussion of books only. We will remove any non-pertinent comments/discussion, as we want this to be a space only for book club chat!
- Please be respectful and kind to one another. We will remove anyone from the group that doesn’t abide by these very simple rules. We want this to be fun and enjoyable for everyone!
We just announced our first book of the year and I am thrilled to share that we are going to read…drum roll please…
Lydia Quixano Pérez lives in the Mexican city of Acapulco. She runs a bookstore. She has a son, Luca, the love of her life, and a wonderful husband who is a journalist. And while there are cracks beginning to show in Acapulco because of the drug cartels, her life is, by and large, fairly comfortable.
Even though she knows they’ll never sell, Lydia stocks some of her all-time favorite books in her store. And then one day a man enters the shop to browse and comes up to the register with a few books he would like to buy—two of them her favorites. Javier is erudite. He is charming. And, unbeknownst to Lydia, he is the jefe of the newest drug cartel that has gruesomely taken over the city. When Lydia’s husband’s tell-all profile of Javier is published, none of their lives will ever be the same.
Forced to flee, Lydia and eight-year-old Luca soon find themselves miles and worlds away from their comfortable middle-class existence. Instantly transformed into migrants, Lydia and Luca ride la bestia—trains that make their way north toward the United States, which is the only place Javier’s reach doesn’t extend. As they join the countless people trying to reach el norte, Lydia soon sees that everyone is running from something. But what exactly are they running to?Goodreads
This book is an Oprah Book Club pick and is highly rated by many other readers, bloggers, newspapers and magazines and we cannot wait to read it with you! 2021 is starting off strong with an incredibly good book!
Let’s pledge to read more in 2021!