This mug cake is one of my favorites for satiating that chocolate craving! I use tiger nut flour instead of almond flour for this recipe because of its natural sweet flavor and health benefits.
Chufa, also known as tiger nuts or earth almonds, are not actually nuts! They are small edible tubers. They are about the size of garbanzo beans and have a sweet, nutty flavor. They are rich nutrients and antioxidants and have been linked to several health benefits – ranging from better digestion to a reduced risk of heart disease1.
Tiger nuts were one of the first plants cultivated in Egypt and traditionally used as both food and medicine.
Health Benefits of Tiger Nuts
Tiger nuts are:
- tubers rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and other beneficial plant compounds.
- a good source of insoluble fiber, which can prevent constipation and help your digestion run smoothly.
- rich in fiber and arginine, both of which can contribute to lower blood sugar levels. They also contain compounds that may reduce how much sugar is absorbed in your gut after a carb-rich meal.
- rich in heart-healthy fats.
Tiger nuts may also contribute to a stronger immune system by fighting infections, including those from antibiotic-resistant bacteria2. And since tiger nuts are not part of the nut family, they are completely safe for people with nut allergies and they are naturally gluten-free.
For this recipe, I also use my homemade baking powder (recipe from Danielle Walker) or you can purchase this clean one, too.
Chocolate Almond Butter Mug Cake
Total Time: <5 minutes
- 4 TB tiger nut flour
- 2 TB carob powder
- 1 TB melted coconut oil
- 2 TB coconut milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 TB organic almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
Mix all ingredients (minus the almond butter) in a large microwavable coffee mug or bowl. Once mixed, dollop the tablespoon of almond butter right in the middle (no need to mix).
Microwave for 90 seconds. Let cool 2 minutes. Top with a bit of coconut cream and enjoy!
Variation: You could also omit the almond butter and top with fresh strawberries or raspberries and a dollop of coconut cream.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag #lifestylewithlauren on Instagram!